Cover Gray Hair with Demi Permanent Hair Color
I was approximately 30 years old when the nasty grays starting sprouting against my naturally dark brown hair and it’s been a never ending battle since. My hair is chemically relaxed so finding the right product that wouldn’t damage my hair was my biggest concern. Luckily for me, one of my besties is a hair colorist and recommended Clairol Professional Radiance Colorgloss Demi-Permanent deposit only color. She raved about the product, explaining how it not only covers gray but also coats the hair with a moisture-rich gloss. Boy was she right! The results were not only the perfect match against my natural color, the shine and luster were unsurpassed.
Since then, I’ve tried other products out of pure laziness and have always been disappointed. These products left my hair feeling and looking dry or made my roots looked as if they were a shade or two lighter. Lesson learned! When you find the right product, do not switch!
Radiance Colorgloss Benefits:
- Control color results
- Intermix Clear Shine with Radiance shades to tone down results, or process Radiance shades with heat for deeper shade results
- 11 intermixable shades
- Long-lasting semi/demi permanent translucent color
- Softly blends up to 30% gray
- Mix with Radiance Color Infuser
- Quick 5-to-15-minute timing
Choosing the Right Color:
This is where it can get tricky. I was fortunate that my friend (the colorist) was able to give me the right color formula. I mix 2N Dark Natural Brown and 4N Light Natural Brown demi permanent color with the color infuser. I would have NEVER been able to figure out this formulation on my own.
Since not everyone has a colorist friend, you can visit Clairol’s website (www.clairolpro.com) or call them directly at 1 800 221 4900 to have them assist you with color matching. In my experience, Clairol was well-versed, professional and patient while answering all of my questions.
At Home vs. At Salon:
Saves you time and money. I need a root touch up every 2 weeks. If you’re like me juggling a million things you may not have the time to sit in a salon. Clairol Radiance is a professional product but it’s a simple process and once you find the right formulation you can do it yourself.
Choosing the Right Color: Demi vs. Semi vs. Permanent Hair Dye
Demi-Permanent hair color
- No ammonia and deposits only
- Contains low peroxide which unlike semi-permanent, it can lighten the hair slightly
- Lasts up to 24 shampoos
- Great for blending gray and covers gray only if the hair is fine or porous
- Enhances natural color, refreshing color, toning highlights, or for corrective work
- Can be used on permed or relaxed hair
Semi-Permanent Hair Color
- No ammonia and deposits only
- No peroxide therefore it can only make hair darker not lighter
- Lasts up to 6 shampoos
- Great for blending gray and covering gray
- Enhances natural color, refreshing color, toning highlights, or for corrective work.
- Can be used on fragile, permed or relaxed hair
Permanent Hair Color
- Contains ammonia
- Contains peroxide
- Will last until the colored strands grow out
Can be more damaging to your hair as chemicals used are stronger and the mixture usually has to be left on for a longer period of time.
- Clairol Professional Radiance Color Infuser
- Clairol Professional Radiance Demi Permanent Colorgloss
- Applicator Bottle
- Disposable Gloves
- Disposable Shower Cap
Strand Testing (Highly Recommend):
Strand testing will help you determine how long to leave the product for touch up applications. If you are happy with the results, you can go ahead and do the full application following your Personalized Instructions. This should be done shortly after the strand test is complete.
- Comb out your hair and part it
- Apply Vaseline on your skin closest to hairline and on your ears to avoid any dye staining your skin
- Mix 2oz of Radiance Colorgloss with equal amount of Radiance Color Infuser into applicator bottle.
- Use applicator tip to part hair. Cover the roots first.
- Spread left over product through hair
- Cover with disposable cap
- Shampoo after about 20 minutes (see strand testing)
The Results Are In!